Incredible, edible egg but so high in cholesterol
If it wasn’t for its high content of cholesterol, egg yolks would be regarded more strongly as one of nature’s health powerhouses . And, if regularly eaten, the egg would go a long way of ensuring against different nutritional deficiencies .
Hope has come for a more incredible, edible egg…
If soluble fiber and red yeast rice works on humans to lower cholesterol, why not chickens? They do. Soluble fiber has been shown to significantly impact the amount of total cholesterol in eggs . And a study in China revealed that chickens fed red yeast rice produced egg yolks with significantly less triglycerides and LDL cholesterol .
In addition, eggs fortified with omega-3 oils are now a popular marketplace novelty and a welcome approach. Although omega-3 fortification won’t change egg cholesterol content, it may help improve its profile for heart health .
Contrary to popular opinion, switching to quail eggs would not be beneficial since their cholesterol content is similar to that of chicken eggs .
1. Nutrition Data. Available at: http://www.nutritiondata.com/facts/dairy-and-egg-products/113/2. Accessed on November 26, 2008.
2. McNaughton JL. Effect of Dietary Fiber on Egg Yolk, Liver, and Plasma Cholesterol Concentrations of the Laying Hen. J Nutr. Available at: http://jn.nutrition.org/cgi/content/abstract/108/11/1842. Accessed on November 26, 2008.
3. Wang J, Pan T. Effect of red mold rice supplements on serum and egg yolk cholesterol levels of laying hens. Available at: http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=150059352. Accessed on November 26, 2008.
4. Manitoba Agriculture and Rural Initiatives. Increasing Omega-3 Fatty Acids in Eggs from Small Chicken Flocks. Avaialable at: http://www.gov.mb.ca/agriculture/livestock/poultry/bba01s04.html. Accessed on November 26, 2008.
5. Bragagnolo N, Rodriguez-Amaya DB. Comparison of the cholesterol content of Brazilian chicken and quail eggs. J Food Comp Anal. Available at: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_udi=B6WJH-48B5K4K-1&_user=10&_rdoc=1&_fmt=&_orig=search&_sort=d&view=c&_acct=C000050221&_version=1&_urlVersion=0&_userid=10&md5=beb35c37292ad81fe9a7e2e94bc9b859. Accessed on November 25, 2008.